b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Addition of Heh to names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Addition of Heh to names
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:08:37 +0300

Hi Gad,

As I just noticed that besides coming down on you for not signing your full
name, no-one actually answered your question, I'll give it a shot.

Av-ram (and Aviram as well) falls into a well-documented type of Western
Semitic "theophoric" names (that is, names that include a divine name or
title, usually with a verb or adjective), in which the divine is expressed
in terms of kinship: "My father (the god) is high/exalted". Abi-melekh: "My
father is king". Compare the well-known Phoenician "Ahiram" - "My brother is
high". As such, Abram is a fairly common name.

Av-ra-ham is more complicated. As such, it is not known outside of the
Bible. Scholars are divided over whether it is a by-form of Avram, perhaps
reflecting a dialect or a spelling convention, or whether the element
"raham" actually means something. We do not know of "raham" meaning
"multitude" in Hebrew or any related language.

Sarah simply means "ruler/officer" in the feminine, and is occasionally
attested as a personal name in ANE languages. "Sarai" seems to simply be a
by-form, with no specific different meaning. It is interesting to note that
Sarah's sister-in-law Milkah, wife of Nahor Abraham's brother, has a name
that means basically the same thing.

Of course the whole idea of God "changing" their names is a sign of their
"belonging" to God. God also names Isaac and Ishmael, and changes Yeshua
bin-Nun to Yehoshua (Joshua). Necho and Nebuchadnezzer do the same to their
vassals the kings of Judah. And God commands Adam to name the animals as a
sign of his mastery over them.

Hope that helped.

Yigal Levin