b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron and Sodom (was: gen. 25 (tam?))

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron and Sodom (was: gen. 25 (tam?))
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:09:19 -0700

Yigal:

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, I agree that is a minority opinion, but so is the identification of the
first grand vizier in Egypt during the third dynasty, who was Asiatic and
not Egyptian, who saved Egypt from a seven year famine, who concentrated
power into the hands of pharaoh, and who died at the age of 110.

> And assuming it did, how could we know that this place, or any other that
> you have in mind, is actually Sodom and not Gomorrah, Admah or Zeboim?

There were five cities found, four of which were destroyed at the same time
by fire. True, the identification of the ruins is done in the order they are
named in Genesis.

> Actually, if you look at a map (or actually go there!) you will see that
> what is visible from the Hebron area (not from the city itself, but from the
> ridges to its east - but yes, I agree that it is the same city that we know
> today) is the NORTHERN end of the Dead Sea, NOT the southern end. So taking
> the story literally, THAT'S where one should look for Sodom.
>
> What is said in the story is that Abraham and the three guests went a short
distance from Hebron, to where they could overlook the Rift Valley. I have
not been to Hebron, but I have stood on the heights overlooking another rift
valley, that one in New Mexico. On a clear summer day, especially when the
sun is partially behind one, one could see details over a hundred miles away
down in the valley. I suspect the same holds true for the view from near
Hebron. I’d be surprised if the whole of the Dead Sea is not visible from
the lookout near Hebron.

> Yigal Levin
>
> The sticking point in this discussion is the timing—when were the different
periods of time? While I am not an expert in history, the historical records
and archeology seem to indicate that Israel entered Egypt during the third
dynasty, and left during the 13th. The Hyksos period started after the
Exodus. With the Exodus dated by the Bible about 1450 BC, that wreaks havoc
with Jim’s theory, as well as with many other historical theories out there.
But is also brings the destruction of those cities into Abraham’s time.