b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dating of Qohelet (was: Words adopted...)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dating of Qohelet (was: Words adopted...)
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:57:42 -0400

Karl:

Two very brief coments.

> True, you didn’t say post-exilic. The reason I assumed that is because all
> other authors that I know of argue for a post-exilic authorship, based on
> the ideas presented.
>
> But if you admit to pre-exilic authorship, then do you not run into the
> main objection cited by others that the ideas presented were common during
> the Hellenistic period, but “unknown” during the pre-exilic monarchy?

I don't hold much store by such arguments - and am pretty sure you don't
either! (On the other hand, I don't rule out post-exilic either.)

> What about the idea that a commoner wrote it and using the picture of
> Solomon as a literary foil? The first objection I see is theological, namely
> that God would not allow a book to be part of the Bible that was intended
> for all times, yet be understood only by a particular people and time. It’s
> bad enough that Hebrew language itself is only imperfectly understood, yet
> it is well enough understood that the main ideas in Tanakh are correctly
> understood. But to have a literary construct that misleads all but the
> original audience is just plain out of the picture.

As you said, the theological issues are off list. Suffice to say that I'm
pretty conservative theologically, but don't feel this to be a problem in
the way you do. For a start, whether you read the book as the work of King
Solomon or as the work of a later writer who adopted a Solomonic literary
persona makes very little difference to how you will "understand" it, in my
opinion. The message really doesn't change.

Regards,
Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile