b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1T and 2T BH vs Young (was Words adopted ...)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1T and 2T BH vs Young (was Words adopted ...)
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 07:28:34 -0800

Randall:

2. malxut shows a very dramatic change from 1T to 2T Hebrew.
> Reading a concordance certainly helps. One can say that malxut
> shifted from a rare, marignal word to a common word. It also helps
> to recognize that malxuto and *mluxato could result from an easy
> transposition of consonants. Not that we want to go that route. However,
> if there is one reference to 'kingdom, rule' in a book, and that word
> is malxut, then it does add to the 2T color of the work. Cf. Qoh 4.
>
> Using a concordance, and its more modern form electronic search, really add
to the study of words. In this case, it suggests a difference in meaning
between ממלכה, ממלכות MMLKH / MMLKWT and מלכות MLKWT.

מלכות kingship, reign, referring to reigning and the extent of one’s
authority, being king or queen, and the symbols and dress that go with being
king or queen

ממלכה, ממלכות kingdom, referring to the land and people

The differences can be seen in verses such as 1 Chronicles 29:30 which uses
both terms, as well as Ezra 1:1–2, 2 Chronicles 36:22–3.

Apparently in Aramaic both concepts are tied up in one term מלכות MLKWT.