b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Titled: Seriously not related? OR Where did the Aleph come from?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Titled: Seriously not related? OR Where did the Aleph come from?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:01:52 -0500

You are right, possibly even to a greater extent than suggested, but your "etymology", is, in my opinion, flawed. To wit: the finger is not "the dipper". There is rarely such "horizontal" relationships between Hebrew words of the same root. The root (as I see it) of ECBA אצבע 'finger', is CB, 'extend, enlarge, expand, swell, raise', as in the verb CABAH of Nu. 5:2, and related to the roots YCB and NCB, 'erect'. CABA צבע 'paint' is 'add upon, add above, cover, submerge'.
From this root we have, not only ECBA, but also CABA צבא 'army', CAB צב, 'lizard, turtle', CBIY צבי 'deer', CABOA? צבוע 'hyena'.
The root CB is related, by degrees, to the roots
DB, ZB, TB, YB, SB, $B
DW, ZW, TW, YW, SW, $W
DP, ZP, TP, YP, SP, $P
with too many words to contemplate here.
The initial E of ECBA may be just phonetic prop, as suggested by George, or it may be the same E as in E-$MOR 'I will guard'. Such additions are common in turning a root into a noun, as they are in turning a root into a verb. To wit: I-KAR, 'farmer', TA-LMIYD, 'student', MA-QOM, 'place', MI-SAAD, 'rail', NI-DBAK (essentially NI- DBAQ), 'row of bricks'.
Briefly:
ARBA, 'four' = RAB, 'many'.
AXAD, 'unify' = AXAZ, 'hold together'.
AKAL, 'eat' = KALAL, 'include'.
IKAR, 'farmer' = KARAH, 'dig'.
This last root KR is a variant of GR, HR, XR, QR, or in Hebrew:
גער, גרה, גרע, גרר, אגר
הרה
חרא, חרה, חרר, אחר
כער ,כרה, כרע, עכר