b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] This is a test of SBL Hebrew Font

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ryan Clan <robert.ryan AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] This is a test of SBL Hebrew Font
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 09:19:43 +1300

Hi Dave
In another Hebrew group I belong to, we came up with an alternative method of communicating Hebrew that avoids a lot of the problems you are having. It worked so well, is easy to do, and offered such distinct advantages that we all tend to rely on it. And that is, to take a screenshot of the desired Hebrew text as it appears on your computer, and attach it to your email as an ordinary jpg image. A screenshot image should be seen below....

Using images avoids the hassle with having to work with fonts, vowel points, right to left, or clunky transliteration symbols etc, /*but*/ for it to work the email group must permit members to send email attachments, and individuals must set their email settings to send and receive in html, not just plain text. I also set my emails to receive attachments "inline" so that the screenshots appear in context in the body of the email, rather than as a separate file. Of course, you also need a screenshot program to create the images, but there are any number of free programs that can be downloaded off the internet (I use Screenshot Captor).

Screenshots can be taken of anything you see on your screen, whether that is bible software, Hebrew wordprocessing, or a webpage. It has the distinct advantage of displaying the text exactly as you want it displayed to others even with vowel points and cantillation all perfectly placed. Depending on your screenshot program you can also add all sorts of arrows or highlights etc to emphasize your point. The screenshot above was taken from my Hebrew wordprocessor.

I don't know if b-hebrew permits attachments, so I am sending this email to the list to find out. Even if b-hebrew doesn't permit attachments, other email groups may be okay, and it provides a useful means of communicating Hebrew to individual email recipients.

Regards
Kay Christensen
NEW ZEALAND