b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sofit Letters

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <Kirk AT GrovesCenter.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sofit Letters
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 09:32:10 -0500

On 02/15/11 08:13, Berel Beyer wrote:

> 3. My guess is that the distinctions developed for either or both of
> the following reasons: to make writing quicker and simpler (like the
> development of minuscule lettering with the Roman alphabet), or to
> distinguish between orthographically similar letters (*something*
> like the development of j, to distinguish between the consonant and
> the vowel).

My guess is that they were developed for manuscripts where the words had
no or very little space between them, and there would be ambiguity about
which word a letter belonged to. The sofit letters would make the word
division unambiguous. Of course, it would be an interpretation of the
scribe at some point; this could be useful in textual criticism of the
text as one tries to reconstruct how a textual variant came about.

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD, President & Senior Research Fellow
The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research