b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language level

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language level
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:39:54 -0600

Hello Isaac;

Thanks for your help.

I am seeing a nice connection among hebrew verbs, based on your thorough
explanation of their roots.

I very much look forward to hearing the results of your torah language
experiment.

I hope that you will also ask both mileva and herr doktor the following
question. Who really designed and solved the differential equation; the one
that accounts entirely the precession in the orbit of planet mercury? For if
she did ...... ; both you and albert may well find her elevated above where
you expect. For she surrendered all in that instance, to advance Albert's
career.

And the letter פ pey is a "cousin" of ב bet with similar root meaning? And
the letter ר resh means many?

It would be nice if you could generate and post an informal list of your
single, letter root meanings, like this one. Then I could compare the two.

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/28_chart.html

regards,

fred burlingame

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> I don't see any inherent difference between the language of the Torah and
>> the language spoken today, except for this funny VA-YI-GA$
>> (come-he-approach, presently-he-approach) form, which is now outmoded. I
>> will try to find someone young speaking good Hebrew, but ignorant of the
>> torah (in the diaspora it is easy as may children of Israeli parents speak
>> good Hebrew but have gone to English school and have never opened the
>> Hebrew
>> bible) and read to him some passages and see if he gets it.
>>
>> Isaac Fried, Boston University
>>
>> On Jan 31, 2011, at 7:30 PM, fred burlingame wrote:
>>
>> Hello Isaac:
>>
>> Sorry about the mischaracterization of your granddaugther.
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, zee-vah זיוה the popular name; and zeev-ah
>> זיבה the illness, have a common etymology. And that commonality includes
>> the
>> identity of letters "vav" ו and "bet" ב ; and the single root meaning: "to
>> come."
>>
>> The verb עבה "a-va" as thick, and as expressed in noun form 1 kings 7:26,
>> I suppose I can see as emanating from the root letter "bet," ב "to come."
>>
>> Your comment in your paragraph 2 is most interesting. I thought that a
>> person raised and trained in the hebrew language spoken in israel today,
>> cannot, absent special additional training, understand a reading of the
>> torah? Am I incorrect in this conclusion?
>>
>> In other words, the average college educated person in america, who never
>> read the english language bible, can nonetheless understand the
>> english language of the bible being read to him the first time at say age
>> 21.
>>
>> Is that true for the average college educated person in israel who has
>> never read the torah? Can she understand the torah being read to her for
>> the
>> first time at say age 21? ... Or does such a person exist?
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> fred burlingame
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> 0. She is not my "relative", she is my granddaughter, and she is not
>>> "very young", she is 5 years old.
>>> 1. Yes. ABAH and AWAH mean that something came, BA, materialized עבה (or
>>> עוה), and settled in our consciousness, driving us to yield to it's, often
>>> vehement, insistence. So, BA LI is a clear and succinct ANI MIT-ABAH
>>> (namely, מתאוה or מתעבה) LE-.
>>> 2. there is no such thing as "modern" Hebrew.
>>> 3. I return to my previous example. You may call (by voice) your daughter
>>> ZIYBAH, but you must write it ZIYVAH (the registrar may refuse to register
>>> ZIYBAH in order to protect the dignity and reputation of the child). We
>>> are
>>> calling her ZIYBAH (which is the same as ZIYVAH), but we know that it is
>>> written with a vav. Seeing the word and hearing the word are
>>> 4. All you have to do to study Hebrew etymology is to put your mind to