b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] are they the same?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] are they the same?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:44:44 +0100

In my work of deepening on the features and meaning of Hebrew patterns, I'm
in need to cast some light on two patterns of feminine nouns:

A. First, we have the pattern of such nouns as QIRYFH, town (Is 1:21),
clearly built on the basic QYR, wall (Ez 4:3). Or noun &IMXFH, joy (Neh
8:12), built up on the basic &MX, to rejoice (1Ch 29:9)

B. Secondly, we have the pattern of such nouns as KTOBET, writing, imprint
(Lv 19:28), clearly derived from KTB, to write (Js 8:32).

My questions are:

1. Are these two patterns absolutely synonyms? I mean: is their meaning
quite identical in the sense that both give feminine "general" nouns, ie
nouns lacking every specificity.

2. Are these two patterns completely interchangeable?
I mean: given a basic word or root, would it be possible to built the
feminine "generic" noun either in the first, A, or in the second pattern, B?

3. If they are not absolute synonyms.... what is then the true difference
between them?

4. Which noun kinds follow the first pattern in the real Hebrew language?
Which follow the second pattern?

I would like to hear from you about this issue.

Pere Porta