b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Do they mean the same?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Do they mean the same?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 07:51:53 -0500

Pere,

Look at the various usages of the two words, and see if this might be a
possible differentiation: treat M(+ as a description of quantity and Q+N as
a description of significance. Some (TWOT, for one) have M(+ mean something
like "few in number" and Q+N as "insignificant." That being said, there are
still cases where the two concepts appear to be true synonyms.

I have not checked to see if there is an idiosyncratic tendency for a writer
to use one over the other, so you might want to check to see if you can find
the two used in the same context and see if this suggested distinction holds
true.

Hope this helps,

Paul Zellmer