b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karl on "beer"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karl on "beer"
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 17:21:51 -0800

Nir:

The dictionary is one that I wrote, one that I have mentioned several times
on this list. It is not one that I set out to write, rather one that started
as notes, synonym references and corrections in the margins of the
dictionaries that I purchased.

For me, the important thing is what actions do the words refer to, not their
etymology (I think many of those etymologies are faulty) nor their semantic
domains.

Yigal’s suggestions appear to me to be too much of speculation on etymology,
enough that I cannot agree with it.

Karl W. Randolph.