b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] צלפחד

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] צלפחד
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 11:04:35 -0600

Thanks for your comments.

Names today, like sue, or stewart, or steven .... become assigned by parents
to new born babies .... because the names sound nice; or a relative or a
famous person had the name, etc. Names today however, in english anyway,
don't appear to have independent meaning.
Names in biblical hebrew however, frequently become assigned because the
word, becoming the proper name, enjoys a specific meaning. Witness genesis
29:32-35; 30:6, 8, 11, 13, 18, 20, 23, 24.

Your analysis is instructive, but I don't see the connection of "drawer out
of sharp one" to צלפחד , and more particularly, the circumstances of her
appearance in the tanakh. The recordation of her story, seems prompted by
and confined to the important issue of female inheritance and primogeniture.

The corresponding chronic insecurity and fear of the female losing
her inheritance seems to imply another meaning for the name, here.

regards,

fred burlingame