b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 96, Issue 10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 96, Issue 10
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:58:46 -0600

Hello Nir:

Thanks for your comments.

I generally agree.

I do think פנו דרך literally means "turn way;" and figuratively means "clear
way."

And I do agree with your other comments about the utility of the three sets
of manuscripts; greek, hebrew, and aramaic. All of these
manuscripts resulted from a political and religious context, rather than a
vacuum. Hence, all three deserve examination in an attempt to approach
the original text.

But ... will the current manuscript factual record disclose the accurate and
complete, word for word, text of the book referenced in deuteronomy
31:24-26; and joshua 8:30-34? The answer to that question is simply: no.

I liken the problem of understanding the ancient hebrew language, to the
clouds in the sky. When I step back and look at the clouds, I have a fairly
clear sense of what the clouds are all about. But when I try to grasp or
bottle the clouds, while standing on a mountain, .... it all slips away.

regards,

fred burlingame