b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] name vocalization

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] name vocalization
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:10:30 -0600

Hello Yigal:

Thanks for your informative comments. I offer the following response.

The earlier and popular expansion of the name disturbs its later and lesser
contracted form .... not; and vice versa.

Witness the first 1/2 of names containing the first 3/4 of this other name:

יהושוע deuteronomy 3:21;

evolves into

ישוע ezra 2:36.

I note that the latter verse from ezra also contracts a separate name whose
ending corresponds to the beginning of the other name in question.

Witness:

ידעיה

Witness also:

יהושפט I kings 15:24

alternating with

יושפט I chronicles 15:24

So, do we have a genuine dispute over pronunciation of the name; or merely a
question of contracted versus expanded other names?

regards,

fred burlingame