b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Simple Pronunciation Question...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Simple Pronunciation Question...
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 19:14:38 -0800

On 17 Nov 2010 at 16:07, K Randolph wrote:

> > Clear written evidence of separate letters for separate
> > sibilants exists in Ugaritic, a close relative of Hebrew.
> >

> Just because they existed in Ugaritic, does that mean they existed
> in
> Hebrew? The answer is: we donĀ“t know. But indications from the
> Hebrew
> alphabet as it was used in the language are that they did not.

I have to take a middle ground here, because it's hard to tell from the
pre-exilic Hebrew
script, but Ugaritic isn't going to tell us much. Ugaritic did in fact have
several sibilant
symbols, but it also had three different graphemes for Aleph, depending on
the vowel
associated with it. Hebrew didn't. so Ugaritic isn't going to be much help
either way in this
case.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur