b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Simple Pronunciation Question...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Butzu <jbutzu AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Simple Pronunciation Question...
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:34:15 -0500

Hello all,
Although I rarely comment on this list, I enjoy my subscription very much as
the subject of Biblical Hebrew fascinates me. I have a quick question
concerning the word Solomon in the Bible as found in Proverbs 1:1 [example].
Can anyone please explain to me why the name is nor pronounced like we say
it today? There is no "n" sound in the text... only what sounds like an
"oh" sound (in the pointed text) following the root word Shalom (which =
peace). Hence I see the correct pronunciation as "Shalomah,"
or something close to that.

Is there any reason why the "Sh" sound became an "S" sound in our English
Bibles? And why no we close the word Shalomah with an N if there is no N in
the original text?

I am sure there is an easy explanation... hence I thought I would ask
here...
Thanks in advance for helping my feeble, faltering brain...

Sincerely,
John Mark Butzu
Metro Detroit