b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ben Sira עַד אֲשֶׁר

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Goran Kühner <kuhner AT libero.it>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ben Sira עַד אֲשֶׁר
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:39:01 +0100

There are three occurences of עַד אֲשֶׁר (’ad ’asher) with the /qatal /form in the extant hebrew tetxts of the Ben Sira (Sir 47:23, Sir 48:1.15).
Beside the textual critical problem of Sir 47:23 which is not of interest for this list, I am interested in finding out what are the possibilities for the translation of this compound conjuction. In all the grammars I've checked it only gives the temporal meaning (Joüon §113.k has purpose meaning, but with /yiqqtol - / עַד אֲשֶׁר is occasionally used with an imperfect depicting past action to denote a virtual nuance of purpose: “until” = “so that,” ). However, NET Bibles notes in couple of places (e.g. Eccl 2:3) refers to it as temporal result clause and W. Van Peursen in his /The verbal system in the Hebrew text of Ben Sira/ has moreless the same idea based on the dictionary entry for עַד (’ad) that gives as one of the possibilities for translation "to the point that" (of degree), but the only cited resource is always a BDB (725) or /HALOT/ (787) dictionary.
Someone can maybe illuminate me where I can find other interpretations for עַד אֲשֶׁר beside the temporal one (excluding JM reference with /yiqqtol/).

Goran Kühner
Rome, Italy

  • [b-hebrew] Ben Sira עַד אֲשֶׁר, Goran Kühner, 11/11/2010