b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eve and the Hivites

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, greifer AT hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eve and the Hivites
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:42:18 -0800

Jim:

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Kenneth Greifer:
>
> You refer to my alleged “claim about the stories in Genesis being based on
> the Amarna letters”.
>
> Not true. The Patriarchal narratives were composed at the same time as the
> Amarna Letters,

Not true. By all measures except fictionalizing the stories, the patriarchal
narratives concerned people who lived centuries before the Amarna letters,
and were written long before those Amarna letters. That is the clear message
of the patriarchal accounts by all measures of linguistic analysis.

Now if you admit that the patriarchal narratives are fiction, or at most
distorted memories of ancient legends, then you can say whatever you want to
say about them, including that they were written at the same time as the
Amarna letters.