b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] RB

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] RB
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 22:11:42 +0000

Jim,

You are trying to figure out what was going on 4000 years ago or something
like that based on the Egyptian records and the patriarchal narratives using
mostly linguistic proof. If in 4000 years people had to understand our time
in history using the same amount of information, do you think they would
understand the names of our places and people?

Would they know there were two George Bushes and they were not people who
lived in the wilderness because they were called Bush? Would they think New
York City and the Big Apple were two different places because one obviously
was a city and the other was an agricultural center probably located in a
different part of the Empire State which had to be a different state than New
York State? It goes on and on.

If you have to understand the world of 4000 years using linguistics, you are
likely to have to guess a lot. Our time could not be understood based on
words for places and people's names, etc. You can't convince scholars you are
right without archeological proof because there is too much uncertainty about
names from the past.

Kenneth Greifer