b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] A Question on Rashi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shannon <robertsumner0110 AT wmconnect.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] A Question on Rashi
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 04:59:19 -0400

Hi guys,

I appreciate the renewed interest on this thread. Shortly after I posted it,
back in August, I received the following from Yitzak Sapir:

I don't see Rashi discussing this but the concept is attributed to a
much earlier
authority -- Rabbi Levi, a Jewish authority in Israel in the late
3rd/early 4th century
CE, and quoted by Rabbi Yonah, one of the heads of the Tiberias academy in the
early 4th century CE:

"Yonah in the name of R. Levi said: Why was the world created with a
bet? Just as
the bet is closed on its side and open from its front, so also you are
not allowed
to inquire about what is above and what is below and what came before and what
will come after, only from the day the world was created and onwards."

Many Thanks,
Robert Shannon Sumner