b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] God's "This is my name forever name"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 AT juno.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] God's "This is my name forever name"
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:45:44 -0400

On Mon Jul 12 08:12:51 EDT 2010,
Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il wrote:

Dave,
"First of all, this verse has been discussed."

Dave asks:

Yigal, "Could you provide me with a b-hebrew link
where this verse has been discussed?"

=====
Yigal Levin continues:

Second, since the NKJV's "The Lord" is a translation of the Hebrew YHWH,
your question should be:

Is God's "This is my name forever" name:
"YHWH God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the
God
of Jacob",

OR

Just "YHWH",

with all the rest being a description or title of one sort or another.

Right?

Dave replies:

"Since English translators of YHWH are under pressure from Jewish
tradition,
to render YHWH
or at least [(yod-shewa-heh-defective holem-waw-qamets-heh)]
as "Adonai" or "The LORD],
I am somewhat aware that translators are not translating
[(yod-shewa-heh-defective holem-waw-qamets-heh)], as it is written.

I have chosen to examine more closely the text which follows [Adonai],
which occurs in "The Complete Jewish Bible" by David H. Stern
OR
I have chosen to examine more closely the text which follows [The LORD]in
the NKJVYigal,While I recognize that you seem to have indicated that the
choice I made to more closely examine the text that follows "Adonai" may
lead some who post here toconsider me to be an imbecile, I am led to
believe that you would not be a personwho thinks that of me.Dave
Donnelly.P.S.I have this continuing problem in which it is my opinion,
that the Jewish Author David Stern, did not clearly explain in the
section titled;"X. THE NAME OF GOD IN THE COMPLETE JEWISH BIBLE"EXACTLY
WHY HE TRANSLATED YHWH AS "Adonai" at Exodus 3:15!David H. Stern
wrote:snip/snip "So strictly was the rule enforced that when the
Masoretes wrote down the vowel points for the Torah,they did not write
the actual vowel points to be used in pronouncing the tetragrammaton.By
then, the word Adonai, which is a term for God Himself, found frequently
in the Bible and which means "my Lord" was said instead of the
Name,whenever the Torah was read; so the Masoretes put the vowel pointing
for "Adonai" under the letters Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh. To this day, when the
Torah is read in the synagogue, "Adonai" is substituted for the name.I
truly wish that David Stern had mentioned that the Masoretes had not
placed the precise same wowel points,AS ARE FOUND IN "ADONAI",INTO THE
TETRAGRAMMATON.