b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yerushalayim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yerushalayim
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:31:55 -0400

Esteemed members,

1) I'd always assumed that the suffix 'ayim' in yerushalayim implied a pair
of items, as in Machanyim or Sha'arayim (not to mention raglayim or
yadayim). I suppose this isnt possible?

2) is the prefix 'Yeru' similar to the prefix of 'Yeri' in Yerikho?
On the other hand, could it be related to the 'Yeru' in a personal name like
'Yeruba'al'?