b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] introduction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] introduction
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:55:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I've recently subscribed to the b-hebrew mailing list and according to the
introductory message I received when I subscribed, new members are encouraged
to "introduce themselves". So, by way of introduction, I offer the following:

o I have studied Hebrew over quite a long time now, but rather spottily, with
the result that I cannot claim to have more than a mediocre knowledge of
Hebrew (at best). I.e., I can read the Bible in Hebrew, but not fluently,
and only with frequent recourse to a dictionary.

o I have studied quite a number (to varying degrees) of other languages
(chiefly, though not exclusively, either Indo-European or Semitic), and
have a good general knowledge of linguistics.

o My "day job" is not concerned with Biblical studies, languages, or
linguistics, but rather computer science.

o I became aware of this group when it became available as a news group via
Gmane, and although I prefer news groups to mailing lists, it appears that
one can only post via the mailing list, not Gmane, so I have subscribed to
the list.

--
William Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>