b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qal passives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qal passives
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:21:44 -0400

Seems to me that there is no need for a farfetched, scientifically untenable, speculation on the "influence" of Aramaic on the Hebrew of the book of Psalms. As I see it the word תגמולוהי of Ps 116:12 contains either the compound suffixal reference הוא-היא for the giver of the תגמול (that is, by itself, אתה-גמ- הוא-ל with two references to the thing itself), or is with an ending reference היא for a plural.

Isaac Fried, Boston University