b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fact of Language and 'was Ruth'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fact of Language and 'was Ruth'
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:08:31 +0300

Randall,

I think everybody agrees that the best way to learn b-hebrew would be to
learn it as a real spoken language but we simply don't have any Isaiah's,
Jeremiah's or Ezekiel's around to tell us if we are doing it right. Surely,
you accept that your knowledge of Modern Hebrew as a spoken language could
be an influencing factor on your 'internalisation' of b-hebrew.

One statement you made that struck me as highly dubious was when you claimed
that you and a group of teachers were going to talk about the best way to
teach a grammatical phenomenon and this discussion would be conducted in
b-hebrew. Surely, the necessary vocabulary for such a discussion is not even
testified in the b-hebrew corpus?

James Christian