b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Open letter to the moderators: Why are you allowing one person to virtually dominate the B-Hebrew list?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John M. Linebarger" <jmlineb AT comcast.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Open letter to the moderators: Why are you allowing one person to virtually dominate the B-Hebrew list?
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 23:41:17 +0000 (UTC)

Every six months I shake my head in wonder about the proclivities of the
moderators of the B-Hebrew list. I subscribe to several such lists, and the
B-Hebrew list is the only one that consistently allows one person to dominate
the discussion and the volume. The effect of the domination is that other
traffic and discussion are often simply drowned out. It ebbs, it flows, it
ebbs again, but it always returns. Currently, it is flowing.

So I ask the question--why is such parasitic behavior allowed by the
moderators? If it is in the name of academic freedom, the free exchange of
ideas, any such benefits are far outweighed by the fact that it squeezes out
other discourse, and invites nastiness in the process. IMHO, the practical
damage caused by the moderators' policy of tolerance far outweighs any
theoretical benefits, at least that I have perceived.

Am I alone in this view? Moderators, what say ye? For awhile I tried to
look at it as a fascinating sociological phenomenon; now I simply find it
annoying. It demotivates me from even subscribing to the list, much less
reading it or participating in it. It's a darn shame when good things go bad

John M. Linebarger, PhD (Computer Science)
Albuquerque, New Mexico