b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The salt sea was yet another hijacked thread about something totally different

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The salt sea was yet another hijacked thread about something totally different
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 02:41:10 +0300

None of your points seem valid in any way. Sailors in English have been
called 'Limeys'. If there was an ancient religious text with a single sea
with a proper name of The Lime Sea would that be an indication that ever sea
was also called The Lime Sea because sailors are referred to in that way?

Your reference to Samuel is also irrelevant. No mention of The Salt Sea
there. The only place in the bible referred to as The Salt Sea is the Dead
Sea closely related with the Valley of Siddim.

James Christian

On 13 May 2010 18:53, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> James Christian:
>

> I am not contradicting myself. Rather, I am saying that in all the Books
> of the Bible (at least prior to Chronicles), a reference to “sea the salt”
> could be either a reference to the Mediterranean Sea, which was a salt sea,
> or to the Dead Sea, which was also a salt sea. Rather than relying
> exclusively on the words “sea the salt” to determine which salt sea is
> being referenced in any particular case, the only way to determine which
> salt sea is being referenced is to look at the particular context involved.
>

> Here’s my Biblical evidence that a reference to “sea the salt” could be a
> reference to the Mediterranean Sea:
>

> 1. Ezekiel 27: 29
>

> In Biblical Hebrew, people who sail the Mediterranean Sea are called
> “salts” (meaning “sailors”). The Hebrew word for “salt” (in the singular)
> is MLX, with the plural being MLX-YM. At Ezekiel 27: 29 people who sail
> the Mediterranean Sea are called “salts”/MLXYM.
>

> 2. Jonah 1: 5
>

> At Jonah 1: 5, people who sail the Mediterranean Sea are called “the
> salts”/H-MLXYM. So the Hebrews thought of the Mediterranean Sea as being a
> “salt sea” (rather than exclusively thinking of the Dead Sea as being a
> salt sea).
>

> 3. II Samuel 8: 3, 56, 13 (per KJV)
>

> In chapter 8 of II Samuel, King David goes up north to Syria and defeats
> the king of Syria in a “valley of salt” in Syria. That’s the Orontes River
> Valley, being a valley that is near the salt sea/the Mediterranean Sea, and
> whose river empties into the nearby salt sea/Mediterranean Sea. Here’s the
> KJV translation, which relies exclusively on the Masoretic Text:
>

> “David smote also Hadadezer, the son of Rehob, king of Zobah, as he went to
> recover his border at the river Euphrates. …And when the Syrians of
> Damascus came to succour Hadadezer king of Zobah, David slew of the Syrians
> two and twenty thousand men. Then David put garrisons in Syria of
> Damascus: and the Syrians became servants to David, and brought gifts.
> …And David gat him a name when he returned from smiting of the Syrians in
> the valley of salt….”
>

> Hebrew King David could not defeat the king of Syria at or near the Dead
> Sea. No, the only place for the “smiting of the Syrians in the valley of
> salt” to occur in defeating the king of Syria was in Syria, at the Orontes
> River Valley in southern Syria, just north of the Beqa Valley.
>

> 4. Genesis 14: 3
>

> Since chapter 14 of Genesis is admitted by most scholars to be very old,
> dating all the long way back to the Late Bronze Age, the Hurrians and the
> Amorites at Genesis 14: 6-7 must be the historical Hurrians and Amorites,
> who lived north of the Dead Sea. The references to QD$ and Amorites at
> Genesis 14: 7 are therefore referring to QD$ of Upper Galilee, just south
> of Lebanon’s Beqa Valley, and the Amorites are historically accurately
> [...]

  • [b-hebrew] The salt sea was yet another hijacked thread about something totally different, James Christian, 05/13/2010