b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Horites

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Horites
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:24:49 EDT

James Christian:

You and I agree that the author of Genesis 36: 8-43 knows nothing
whatsoever about the historical Hurrians. But in an earlier post, I listed
all the
many factors that strongly suggest that chapter 14 of Genesis was composed
in the Late Bronze Age. If chapter 14 of Genesis is a Late Bronze Age
composition, then the early Hebrew author of chapter 14 of Genesis certainly
knew all about the Amorites and the Hurrians, and he knew that both the
Amorites and the Hurrians lived exclusively north of the Dead Sea. Your
theory
of Genesis 14: 6-7, like the scholarly theory, insists that both the
Amorites and the Horites/Hurrians are portrayed as living south of the Dead
Sea.
But that simply cannot be, if chapter 14 of Genesis was composed in the
Late Bronze Age.

The strongest argument against the conventional geographical understanding
of Genesis 14: 6-7 is that chapter 14 of Genesis dates all the long way
back to the Late Bronze Age, to a period when everyone in the ancient Near
East knew that the Amorites and the Hurrians lived north of the Dead Sea.
Accordingly, both Genesis 14: 6, and Genesis 14: 7, m-u-s-t be referencing
locales n-o-r-t-h of the Dead Sea.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois