b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vocal tradition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vocal tradition
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 22:16:40 +0300

I'll not get into a discussion about how you seem to have concluded that I'm
not a Hebrew without first asking me if I was born in the blood line of one
the 12 tribes but rather get on with dealing with the issue you have raised.

You seem to feel confident that there has always been an unbroken tradition
of the vocalisation despite the many debates and conflicting traditions. If
the tradition was so unbroken how do we end up with variant readings in the
various MSS (here we are talking about disagreements of consonants let alone
vowels)? How do you explain he versus she blatant errors in the received
text?

James Christian