b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6b Construct or Apposition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6b Construct or Apposition
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:11:48 +0300

Hi George,

Ok! This does make the reading a little awkward. However, I am willing to
accept it as a possibility. I would be a little more convinced if you could
point us to any unambiguous examples of a similar construction elsewhere in
the Hebrew writings.

However, in favour of a plural construct interpretation seem to be the
vulgate and LXX translations of Genesis 14:6b and Genesis 36:8.

in monte Seir (Vulgate 36:8)
in montibus Seir (Vulgate 14:6)

ἐν τῷ ὄρει *σηιρ (LXX 36:8)
ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσιν *σηιρ (LXX Genesis 14:6)

Notice that both ancient translations seem to lend support to a traditional
plural understanding for Genesis 14:6 which is contrasted with a singular
understanding in 36:8. Neither lend any support for a suffixed personal
pronoun interpretation of Genesis 14:6.

Does anybody here read Aramaic? For what its worth here is the Targum
Onkelos tradition:

וְיָת חוֹרָאֵי, דִּבְטוּרָא דְּשֵׂעִיר, עַד מֵישַׁר פָּארָן, דִּסְמִיךְ עַל
מַדְבְּרָא.

The key words in question being:

דִּבְטוּרָא דְּשֵׂעִיר

Can anbody offer an analysis of the Aramaic to the discussion?

James Christian