b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 22:12:20 +0300

Jim,

we basically have two nouns side by side. There is no logical way of
interpretting this phrase other than a construct phrase. The meaning is
quite simple something like 'in the mountain range of Seir'.

Turning back from the mountains of Seir to an oasis/settlement in Wadi Paran
makes perfect sense. I see absolutely no reason to hypothesis the Gulf of
Aqaba and this just sounds ridiculous.

Genesis 14:3 tells us how they marched to the valley of Siddim, that is to
the Salt Sea. So is the Valley of Siddim? Or is it the Salt Sea? It was the
Valley of Siddim at the time of the battle! But now it's the Salt Sea at the
time of authorship and translation is made in terms that the reader is
likely to be familiar with. The same is true of Qadesh versus En-Mishpat.

The missing wells are in the Valley of Siddim. The valley of Siddim is now
buried under millions of cubic metres of dense salt water. That's why the
bitumen now floats on the water.

The phrase wells, wells of bitumen uses the double for a reason. This is
emphasising quantity. A bit like saying 'the song of songs' emphasizing the
best song ever. This is basically saying there were lots and lots of bitumen
pits. Something like 'pits upon pits of bitumen'. None of the locations you
suggest fit this description. The only place that does is now under the dead
sea.

If you're looking for pinpoint historical accuracy in Genesis then you ought
to try widening the scope of your search. It's from cover to cover my
friend.

James Christian