b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:51:33 -0400

Jim,

Not without a lot of work--which I am not willing to do right now.
Personal names are notoriously difficult to date, identify as to
language, and translate. I guess that is why they are so often taken as
a dissertation project :)

If you are serious about what the names mean, I suggest you search on
Google, or your favorite search engine, for dissertations on personal
names in the ANE. If you have access to a library, you might find these
listed in Noth's classic work on PNs in the HB. Or, check in HALOT for
bibliography.

Of course, you will have to redate everything to fit Karl's dating
theory, or you will have to relocate all the geographical locations to
fit your theories. But, the bibliography will get you started.

James

James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com