b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Darius the Mede

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Darius the Mede
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:24:55 -0700

Ron:

There are two main problems I see in identifying Darius the Mede:

1) the destruction of Persian records by Alexander the Great, so that all we
have left are the Bible and a few scattered records from other sources,

2) I suspect Cyrus the Great as having tried to erase records of Darius the
Mede to justify his rule over his erstwhile ally, or more accurately he may
have been a top general under Darius and now he wanted to justify his taking
over Darius’ kingdom.

We may never know what actually happened.