b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Biblical Accents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ryan Clan <robert.ryan AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Biblical Accents
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:03:06 +1200

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far - I am checking the books out, and am grateful for your ideas.

To answer Yitzhak's question: My interest is primarily in the punctuation, rather than cantillation of accents, although I am now wondering if it is possible, or right, to learn one without the other given their multipurpose.

In college, accents were ignored and what I have learned to date has been gleaned from the internet, as well as various grammars. The material is thus a little haphazard and full of holes, but nonetheless I have managed to collate a small bundle of helpful information, have a good general appreciation of the subject, and the means to identify a number of the accents and their functions (especially those in the 21 books) as well as make a fair, if untutored, attempt at analyzing verses.

However, when I recently got stuck on a verse in the Psalms, I realized I would need a book dedicated to the purpose of explaining accents. The trouble is, I come from New Zealand. As far as I know, there are neither the people nor the institutions available to provide instruction beyond basic Hebrew grammar and intermediate level reading (or if they are, I don't know of them, which is why I was interested to know of any New Zealanders on the group). Furthermore, I can't just pop into a bookshop and browse the titles until I find what I want. My best hope is that I can preview a title on googlebooks, otherwise it is a bit of a lucky dip at three times the US price to import a book sight unseen into this country. Hence, all pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated. If my children are to starve for the sake of this purchase, I want it to be worth it! :-)

Regards
Kay Christensen