b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Karl and Anson

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Karl and Anson
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:20:05 -0700

Yigal, Dave, et al:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What I was reacting to was not Anson Rainey himself, nor his work, rather to
the appeal to authority logical fallacy practiced by Jim Stinehart. As such,
it was a rhetorical flourish, not meant to slam Mr. Rainey.

What I am also reacting to is what I observe as a return to a new
intellectual dark age, where it is believed that the statements of the
“experts” carry more weight than the facts on the ground. Jim Stinehart’s
arguments are a good example of such.

It is not only here in B-Hebrew that I have noticed this slide away from
scientific thinking back to medievalism. I see it in science (I don’t know
the math involved (which is why I’m in linguistics) but when Tesla
investigated Einstein’s relativity theory, he rejected it because it gave
different results than what he got in his lab. But most scientists followed
the “expert” Einstein.), theology (the age of the superstars in the
mega-churches), and so forth.

No, let the facts be the facts. And no, I do not intend personal attacks,
but don’t ask me to honor persons at the expense of the truth.

Karl W. Randolph.