b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh forte and dagesh lene

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh forte and dagesh lene
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 10:36:00 -0400

Methinks that when the NAKDANIM removed this ancient, initial dagesh (as the writing techniques improved and it became superfluous ) they left it only where it mattered. There are punctuated Hebrew books nowadays, for instance the Oxford Hebrew-English dictionary, without any dgeshim, except in ב כ פ .

Isaac Fried, Boston University