b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The ancient value of OU in Attic and Koine Greek

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The ancient value of OU in Attic and Koine Greek
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:56:08 +1100

Dear Karl,

Karl> What you have yet to do is to give me any indication whatsoever that
YHWH
was pronounced ?Yahweh? in the original Biblical Hebrew pronunciation. From
Hebrew sources, I conclude that the name had at least three syllables.

Now you are saying that it is from Hebrew sources that you've come to insist
on a 3-syllabic pronunciation, but previously you were saying that you reckon
that a spelling such as IAOUE must represent a Hebrew name with more than
3-syllables.

I and others on this list have demonstrated that there is scholarly concensus
that at the time of Clement's writing and for half a millenium beforehand, OU
represented 'u' and 'w', and thus there is no need to assert that OUE
represents more than one Hebrew syllable.

How Greek's perceived that one syllable is irrelevant to discussion: they
consistenly represented w- as OU-.

Garth Grenache.

Looking for a new home? With all the latest places, searching has never been
easier.
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157631292/direct/01/