b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah & Bibl. Poetic Language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah & Bibl. Poetic Language
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:41:00 -0800 (PST)

  Only modesty prevents me from repeating my former
correct statement on this issue.

   Except for the debated two verses, especially '(elyon,
in v 8, Yahweh appears repeatedly as the only god in
this poem. While interpretations may differ, facts are
facts.

   That the verses in question were considered difficult
already in antiquity is evident by the different versions.

  Emendations are always speculative.

  Another point to keep in mind is that poetry, and
language in general is not mathematics. Thus while
parallelism in biblical poetry is an important tool
for understaning, one must keep in mind that
the ancient poets often used words metaphorically.

   Did  biblical authors who often used the phrase
"Yahweh's nose became hot" - h(.)arah appo - expect
their words to be taken literally?

  Uri Hurwitz                  Great Neck, NY

  • [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah & Bibl. Poetic Language, Uri Hurwitz, 02/28/2010