b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:25:31 -0800 (PST)

    It is a good idea, here as elsewehere, to look
at the context.

   Deut. 32 is a long poem in which, except for these
two verses, YHWH appears as an all powerful, sovereign,
sole deity. It is therefore not very convincing to claim
that in such a context YHWH would appears as secondary.

   On the other hand, one must keep in mind that since the
discovery of the Ugaritic epics, it became clear to what
extent Canaanite mythology appears in biblical poetry, though
often metaphorically. This is widely accepted in scholarship.

  Albright's book, written over a generation ago, is still
valid today:
               Yahweh and the Gods of Canaan

   Uri Hurwitz                             Great Neck, NY

<More specifically, I'm looking for information about Deut 32:8-9, in
which many arguers today claim that there is evidence that Y-H-V-H is
portrayed as a son of El (based on some Qumran text and Syriac
translations, I think). Do you perhaps have information on this
specific verse? Arguments against the idea that these two verses are
part of a pre-Torah myth about Elyon dividing the nations up among the
sons of El, of which Y-H-V-H is one? I'd never heard this story as
appearing in the Torah until this week, and I'm looking for arguments
against it.

Thanks,
Jason Hare>

  • [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah, Uri Hurwitz, 02/26/2010