b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] $WB, Gen 14 and Amarna 197

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] $WB, Gen 14 and Amarna 197
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:51:55 -0800

Jim:

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:30 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Your post amply confirms, however, my central assertion, namely that you
> know of no inscriptions from the secular history of the ancient world that
> would place any of the following 7 key names of peoples and places at
> Genesis
> 14: 6-7 south of the Dead Sea: (1) Horites, (2) El-paran, (3) QD$, (4)
> En-misphat, (5) Amalekites, (6) Amorites, (7) Hazezon.

You are making an argument from silence, that if something is not mentioned,
therefore it didn’t exist. You make your argument even more ridiculous by
insisting that that mention has to be in a list whose date we cannot be sure
of, in other words, it could have been as much as a millennium later, when
the towns could have been abandoned and forgotten and peoples wiped out or
migrated away, and that list had to be from a particular source. Yet offlist
you admitted that it is possible that multiple cities named QD$ could have
existed without being listed in Egyptian histories. The same with all the
other names you list. Therefore, you admit that your lack of listing cannot
be taken as proof that they did not exist.

> I honestly do not
> understand why you are not curious about this topic (which to me is a
> super-exciting
> topic), but if you’re not excited about the topic, or even interested in it
> at all, then there’s probably little reason for me to continue posting on
> it.

He has made it clear he is not interested in it at all. By calling your
theories “your fantasies”, he will not only not refer any of his students to
follow up on your theories, but he will actively discourage it should any of
them come across your theories on his own. So there is no reason to continue
posting.