b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry in MT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry in MT
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:40:46 +0200

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Randall Buth wrote:
> I've separated the title because we are both trying to explain the MT
>
>>> In Judges we can simply read as it is: "rad",
>>> presumably from a root r.d.d. with a meaning similar to y.r.d.
>>> So in Judges we have a rare dialectical word that isn't otherwise used.
>>> But it is attested in the ktiv and MT.
>
>>If we are willing to see rd as a "rare dialectical word" from the root r.d.d
> we can use the same logic to see it as a "rare form" from the root y.r.d.
> But see HALOT where r.d.d means "subjugate" making it unlikely to be
> from r.d.d.  In contrast, its suggestion (same entry) to tie it to Akkadian
> radu "cloudburst, downpour" is reasonable.
>
> rad would still be a homonym with rad. Users would still need to hear
> and grasp this on the fly in context.

I am not sure there is another independent word 'rad' but ok.

>>> However, I agree that we migh have a dialect homonym
>>> shavti 'I sat' (from root sh.w.b.)
>
>>No.  I see it as an alternative form of root y.sh.b.  Not any hypothetical
> root sh.w.b.  This is why it is important if rd is also from y.r.d. as it
> gives
> us a secondary attestation of this form. >
>
> It's still a homonym with shavti. Users would still need to hear
> and grasp this on the fly in context.

Just like in English, archaic words like "art" or "wilt" have homonyms "art"
and "wilt." The difference is really the explanation behind how "washavti" is
homonymous with "I will sit," where wa- in the word is originally part of the
root but analyzed as "and" and later influencing the tense/aspect of the word
itself.

Yitzhak Sapir