b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Possible grammatical errors in the Hebrew Bible (Joseph Justiss)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Justiss <jljustiss AT msn.com>
  • To: biblical hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Possible grammatical errors in the Hebrew Bible (Joseph Justiss)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 13:26:33 -0600

Dear Friends

I know of a Hebrew Bible scholar who has tagged almost every clause in the
TaNaK into a databse designed to analyze textgrammar. He agrees with Barr
that the "authors" (defined as those responsible for the final canonical form
of biblical books, those who "make" not "write" books) were not themselves
native BH speakers and learned the language in much the same way you and I
do. He says he can prove this by the mistakes they make in the grammar of the
text. It is hard to argue with him since he can show you the undeniable
statistics in the computer database-stored information.

I bring this up for this reason. Suppose the examples given by Karl Randolf
of weqatals which do not refer to events subsequent to the discourse are just
such examples of the "misuse" of weQatal in the text. I'm curious to see if
any of the list members would even entertain such a possibility.

Joseph Justiss

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/