b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Changed <->NI$:TANFH how?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Christopher Kimball <transcriber AT tanach.us>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Changed <->NI$:TANFH how?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 07:09:35 +0100

Chris,
as you spell it, this is the so called "Nithpa'el" Past, third person
singular masculine, of those verbs lamed-yod having samekh, sin or shin for
their first root consonant.
Then, your word means:* he was changed, he changed himself, he became
different. *

It is a variant of the maybe more common pattern with H in the place of N:
HI$:TANFH

Unfortunately, no sample is found in the Hebrew Bible.

Remark:

1. This is not to be mistaken for a quite similar pattern of the singular
FEMININE we find, for instance, in Pr 27:15 (last word in the verse).

2. In other cases the first N means "we", not "he": but then the root
consonant after -TA- takes *tsere* and not qamats.

Hearty,

Pere Porta