b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] shibboleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] shibboleth
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:47:51 -0800

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM, James Christian
<jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what do the list members make of the shibboleth story and its implications
> for the perception of symbols in the Hebrew alphabet and the sounds they
> represent?
>
> James

My first reaction upon reading the story in Hebrew was that it may indicate
that our modern interpretation of which sounds those symbols represent was
different when the story was written down, than how we read it today. What
were the original sounds? I have some ideas, and evidence for those ideas,
but just asking the question puts one outside what most linguists assume is
settled science.