b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Classification of Semitic Languages (was SWAHILI HEBREW)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Anna <anna_berringer AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: randallbuth AT gmail.com
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Classification of Semitic Languages (was SWAHILI HEBREW)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:21:05 -0800 (PST)

Randall Buth: For example, the three vowel system of early-Semitic languages
is confirmed by Arabic, Ugaritic, Akkadian, and even Hebrew itself when its
morphology is carefully studied. (the Masoretes did not invent a language but
preserved a non-Aramaic language that preserved ancient, pre-Masoretic
features.) And Arabic with its attested CVC patterns broke off from the
NorthWest Semitic languages before Hebrew and Aramaic separated, and long
before Aramaic was able to influence Hebrew during the Second Temple. And
certainly long before Aramaic was allegedly able to reconstruct the whole
morphology of Hebrew (something that just doesn't happen in language
contact).

Anna Berringer: I fully agree with the views in regard to the three vowel
system of early-Semitic languages.  However, the exact manner in which
Semitic languages are classified into various branches and groups is still
being debated among Semitists.

For some, Arabic (with North Arabian which is considered essentially the same
language) belongs to Central Semitic rather than the Northwestern Semitic
group, while Ugaritic may well be an independent branch.

Anna Berringer
Cambridge, Massachusetts.