b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ugaritic Studies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Donald R. Vance, Ph.D." <donaldrvance AT mac.com>
  • To: James Spinti <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ugaritic Studies
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 14:23:34 -0600

Matt,
I, too, studied under Pardee at UoC and his reputation is stellar. I've used all the grammars that have been suggested (all excellent suggestions, btw) and Bordeuil & Pardee is the most useful. Having the photographs of the texts is extremely useful. I used it in the French and just acquired the English revision. I strongly recommend the vocalization of texts because it forces one to deal with the details of grammar that are too easily glossed over when one merely translates. B&P's grammar works from this perspective as well and will help in that regard. This process also helps your Hebrew and other semitic languages as well. Get SBL Writings from the Ancient World volume on Ugaritic poetry and you will have a transcription and an accessible translation as well. Use it as a sort of key. Sivan's big grammar is a reference grammar (Brill). The others are introductory grammars.

My two cents,

Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
Oral Roberts University
dvance AT oru.edu
donaldrvance AT mac.com