b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 18:9 Pointing

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 18:9 Pointing
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:05:13 +0200

Dear "beautilitydesign.co.uk
thevalleychurch.org
greeekandhebrew.wordpress.com
@thevalleychurch",

Please remember to sign your posts with your full name.

Rashi, quoting several Talmudic-era midrashim, suggests that the dots on the
on the word "elav" ("to him"), referring to the three "men" (understood to
be angels)'s addressing Abraham, are meant to show that:
1. They really did know where Sarah was (being angels and all), but wished
to emphasize her modesty in not showing herself.
2. To teach us that one should always ask a husband of his wife and a wife
of her husband.
3. To show that they intended to send Sarah a "cup of blessing".

Now obviously all of these explanations are after-the-fact. What is
interesting is that since the dots are known in rabbinic midrashim, they
must have been in the pre-Masoretic text. This still doesn't really answer
the question, but it tells us that they are NOT a part of the regular
masoretic vowel points and cantilation marks.

Yigal Levin