b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Which reading?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: tedbro AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, davedonnelly1 AT juno.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Which reading?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:57:10 +0100

The last word in Ps 91:7 is YIGF$, he will come near.
I read in a version, that gives the Hebrew text transliterated to Latin
characters, that this is read as "yigAsh" (vowel A).
I'm wondering whether this reading is right as concerns vowel A.
Is the qamats under gimel a normal qamats? Or rather is it a qamats qaton?
The usual vowels for the Qal Imperf. 3rd person singular masculine of verbs
pe-nun are I and O, as in Jb 14:18, Dt 32:43...
If so, the A in "yigAsh" would be a qamats qaton and thus should be read as
with vowel 'o': "yigOsh", as it happens too with verb "nafal" in Ps 35:8:
Yipol and not Yipal.

Am I right?

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)