b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vetrano, Antonino" <avetrano AT state.pa.us>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:55:44 -0500

I merely wanted to offer a simple observation to the "LORD" "ADONAI" "YHWH"
discussion that seems to be going on at this time. Here it is. Perhaps it
is too simple, yet there it is in between the consonants of YHWH to some.
How many vowel sounds are there really? Wouldn't it make sense to plug in
all the vowel sounds to get an array of YHWH soundings? I present the
following as an example. Maybe someone can consider this further? It can
even be dropped flat. Regardless in some form it is there in the letters.

1. It seems "YHWH" to many represents the ineffable name of G_D.
2. It seems "ADONAI" is the word used instead of "YHWH".
My Question:
Why is it that backwards and forwards, the vowels of this word ADONAI in a
language well established with somewhat obscured vowels,
can, by the utterance of those vowels, still say "Yahweh"?

Specifically Vowel "A" may sound like AH or AY or in the second instance here
more slowly pronounced AY-EE
For example:
"A D O N A I" = A (perhaps AH) O(perhaps OH) A(perhaps AH) I
(Perhaps IH) or AI (AY-EE)
The point here is the possible pronunciations of
vowels represented in AdOnAI
Thy all seem to come out Yahweh.

AH-OH-AH-IH or AH-OH-AY or AH-OH-AY-EE
Of course AH may not be in the right
place and AY may be there instead, still ADONAI does seem to give in its
vowels a representation of YHWH

Fanciful I am sure. However...

How about more fancy, How about ADONAI Backwards.
"I A N O D A" = I (perhaps EE) A (Perhaps "AH") O (Perhaps "OH")
and A (Perhaps AH or AY-EE)
Again, the point here is the possible pronunciations
of vowels represented in AdOnAI
Thy all seem to come out Yahweh.

EE-AH-OH-AH or EE-AH-OH-AY or on the same token
EE-AH-OH-AY-EE

The Jewish Encyclopedia talks about impious priests saying one name while the
One Pious one in the midst of them would call out the real name.
In Jeremiah, His name was taken from their mouths and yet He kept a remnant
who knows His name. So long as the remnant remains the name is known. What
it is may be right before our eyes. No wonder I am that I am or I be who I
be stands a certain test of reliability in relation to this whole concept.

If I have suggest stupidity please forbear.

Yet how about a little more dumbness
" I am that I am " may also be a prophetic utterance in regard to
the I AM that IS Moshiach. The same Almighty who spoke to Moshe is the same
Almighty who will be there with and as Moshiach comes into His own. I
didn't even suggest Y'shuah or Jesus. The pattern is plain maybe only to me.
Israel is the Almighty's first born son. Moshiach is the IAM that will rule
Israel. The most High may have spoken of Him to Moshe.
Or is that not at all in the context of scripture linguistically as well as
where the linguistics lead: contextually?

I hope well for you all.
Tony Vetrano