b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 5:3-5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 5:3-5
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:55:57 +0200

Dear Deni,

First of all, when you cut and paste from a website, please take the time to
"clean up" the text and delete various links and the like. Remember that
people have different email programs, some of which only read plain text.

As far as your question, I'm not really sure what the problem is. It plainly
says that Adam and Eve had other children besides Cain, the deceased Abel
and Seth. Who else could the first generation of children have married if
not their siblings? Whether Cain did so before or after the birth of Seth
seems to be irrelevant - the narrative first finishes with Cain and then
turns to Seth and his lineage (which ends up as the "chosen" line, because
only it survived the flood), and then mentions that Adam and Eve had other
sons and daughters. The chronological order is not important; the Bible is
not a "chronicle". "Ein Muqdam Umeuxar BaTorah" - "There is no early and
late in the Torah"

Yigal Levin